Friday, December 03, 2010

Crash!

So I have this glass top coffee table, and the middle piece was being held precariously in place. When I bought it, it didn't have glass there at all, and one of the four metal pieces that was intended to hold the glass in place was broken off. For many years now it had been held in place with a makeshift dealie. Today, that dealie failed.


The scariest part for me involves that red vase-like thing. I'm not sure what it is actually called. I mean, I know it's not a vase. It wouldn't exactly flourish at holding and displaying flowers. Perhaps petals floating in water. But come off it, I'm not doing that. It's just decorative I suppose.

Anyway, I love it. It was my parents and is straight up from the 70s and, I feel, has always been a highlight of my living room. Well, if you can see past the giant marshmallow like wall unit and zebra fur covered chairs, fur rug, and miniature Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino. I love it so much, I actually kept it out of my living room for almost a year, out of Cupcake's reach, until I felt he was mature enough to not go bounding at it and thereby crashing it over and destroying it. So you can imagine the near heart attack I had when this table gave way. But, as you can see, miracle of miracles (my miracle scale is maintained at a relatively low level), it has survived! Look how close it was to being demolished! A half inch in the wrong direction and it could have snapped in half!

That wasn't the scariest part for Cupcake. He was eating at the time. Evidently, the crashing sound alone is what caused his near heart attack.

No comments: